Lewis and Clark State Park is a 621-acre camping park situated in one of the last major stands of old-growth forest in the state. Coniferous trees, streams, wetlands, dense vegetation and wet prairie comprise the park environment. Lewis and Clark State Park, which is actually separate from the Lewis and Clark Trail, began as a “public camp” for automobile tourists in 1922. Two years later, more than 10,000 people visited the park annually. The old north spur of the Oregon Trail, which extended from the Cowlitz River landing to the city of Tumwater, passed directly through the present park site.