Turn Island State Park is a 35-acre marine camping park with 16,000 feet of shoreline. The island is part of the San Juan National Wildlife Refuge. The island was originally mapped as a point of land on San Juan Island by the Wilkes Expedition in 1841 and was named Point Salsbury. It was later found to be an island at a turn in San Juan Channel and was named Turn Island on British Admiralty charts of 1858-59. The island is part of the San Juan National Wildlife Refuge.