Stuart Island State Park is an 85-acre marine camping park with 33,030 feet of shoreline. The park is part of the Cascadia Marine Trail and offers camping and moorage at Reed and Prevost harbors. Some campsites are for the exclusive use of those arriving by human- or wind-powered watercraft. The island was named by the Wilkes Expedition in 1841 in honor of Frederick D. Stuart, the captain’s clerk on the expedition. The park was acquired in four transactions between 1952 and 1975 by purchases from the Bureau of Land Management, the U.S. Coast Guard and the Washington Department of Natural Resources.