Steptoe Battlefield is a four-acre, day-use park in Rosalia. This is the site on May 17, 1858, where Lt. Col. E.J. Steptoe led 159 American soldiers in a running fight with a large band of Spokane, Palouse and Coeur D’Alene Native Americans. The American soldiers beat off a series of attacks until night halted the battle. With ammunition almost gone and facing disaster, Lt. Col. Steptoe and his men retreated with their wounded and under the cover of darkness to Fort Walla Walla. A 25-foot granite memorial erected by Esther Reed Chapter of the Daughters of the Revolution in 1914 marks the authentic site of Steptoe Battlefield.