Jones Island State park is a 188-acre marine camping park with 25,000 feet of saltwater shoreline on the San Jaun channel. The park features a beautiful loop trail down the center of the island then around the western shore. Jones Island was named by the Wilkes Expedition in 1841 in honor of Captain Jacob Jones, U.S. Navy. Jones, while master commandant of the sloop-of-war Wasp, captured the British brig Frolic on Oct. 18, 1812. The park was acquired from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service in 1983.